Whiplash is one of the most common injuries from a car accident. Whiplash causes your neck to move backward then forward, and over stretches the joints and muscles of the neck and upper back.
If you believe you are suffering from a whiplash injury, here are 5 facts you may not know regarding your injury:
1) SYMPTOMS ARE NOT ALWAYS IMMEDIATE.
- Neck and shoulder pain are some of the most common symptoms from whiplash.Symptoms may occur right away but often do not begin to develop for several hours after the incident and then worsen over the next 24 to 48 hours.
- Symptoms may clear up within a few days or weeks. For others, the recovery can take up to three months.
- About 25% of people with whiplash report symptoms for up to a year.
2) PAIN IS NOT THE ONLY SYMPTOM.
Pain in the neck, back, arms and shoulders is the most common symptom due to a whiplash injury. But you can also get:
- blurred vision
- tingling or numbness
- memory loss or difficulty concentrating
- nervousness or irritability
- difficulty sleeping
- burning or prickling,
3) IT DOESN’T TAKE A LOT OF FORCE TO GET WHIPLASH.
- Injuries may occur at speeds less than 5 – 10 mph. It’s hard to believe that at such slow speeds your body may become injured.
- However research shows that 29% of people developed symptoms related to whiplash at speeds of just 2.5mph.
- The severity of the injury typically depends on whether or not you were proper restrained in the vehicle.
4) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN A CAR TO GET WHIPLASH.
Although whiplash is associated with driving, it can also be caused by injuries other than car accidents such as:
- Sudden stops in roller coasters or other amusement park rides
- Sports injuries such as snowboarding, skiing, boxing, football or gymnastics
- Being punched or shaken
- A bad fall
5) CHIROPRACTORS CAN HELP WITH WHIPLASH.
- Chiropractic care can be a very effective way to treat whiplash injuries after being involved in an accident.
- If you’ve been involved in a car accident and are experiencing symptoms of whiplash, do not hesitate to call us for a free consultation at 314.838.8780.
Hummel Chiropractic specializes in helping patients injured from whiplash. We have a treatment and rehabilitation program for these types of injuries. Call us for an evaluation, consultation and treatment at 314.838.8780.